Ren'Py Trying to save space on disk

psyco0

Oct 4, 2017
Because of the way disk formatting works and how files are allocated on a disk, with the default formatting options, files smaller than 4KB (4096 bytes) take up 4KB on the disk. Each RenPy game has its own folders for "lib" and "renpy", which are primarily very small files and, for one particular game, the 78.9MB of actual files between both of these folders takes up over 1GB (about 1037MB) of space on my hard drive. Multiply that by the almost 600 RenPy games I have downloaded and that's nearly 600GB of wasted space due to what I would consider redundant files.

Anyway, can I just have 1 instance of the "lib" and "renpy" folders on my hard drive and move them between the folders for the games as needed or will that cause issues?

EDIT: upon closer inspection, the allocation size on my drive is actually 1MB

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Because of the way disk formatting works and how files are allocated on a disk, with the default formatting options, files smaller than 4KB (4096 bytes) take up 4KB on the disk. Each RenPy game has its own folders for "lib" and "renpy", which are primarily very small files and, for one particular game, the 78.9MB of actual files between both of these folders takes up over 1GB (about 1037MB) of space on my hard drive. Multiply that by the almost 600 RenPy games I have downloaded and that's nearly 600GB of wasted space due to what I would consider redundant files.

Anyway, can I just have 1 instance of the "lib" and "renpy" folders on my hard drive and move them between the folders for the games as needed or will that cause issues?

If you want to hoarde that stuff for some reason (so I assume you don't keep them in your computer), you prob won't mind having a few external hdds, and those are fairly cheap (quick amazon search: 120 bucks for 5tb).
If you want to optimize your storage and believe "lib and renpy" are the same across all renpy games, just keep a copy of them and exclude from storing them for each game, then apply that copy whenever you want to play those games, but I suggest against that.

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021

psyco0

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using some Windows-based utility tools like and perhaps?

whowhawhy

Jan 19, 2023
Penumbral Evanescence
his problem was tiny files he knew about taking up at least 1mb of space each and him not knowing it's what his drive's cluster size was set to before the edit. the solutions are reformatting, keeping unpacked renpy games elsewhere, keeping them archived after/before use, or wasting time figuring out which renpy games can share engine files so the duplicates can be deleted.

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Penumbral Evanescence
his problem was tiny files he knew about taking up at least 1mb of space each and him not knowing it's what his drive's cluster size was set to before the edit. the solutions are reformatting, keeping unpacked renpy games elsewhere, keeping them archived after/before use, or wasting time figuring out which renpy games can share engine files so the duplicates can be deleted.
Ok that makes sense - Thnx for the summation of the problem statement (y)

keeping unpacked renpy games elsewhere
Can also keep them stored on an as well. That might be one such option too to help with saving disk space on their local device

Goeffel

Sep 10, 2022
Nah, unpacking them to external drive typically uses even more space (on that external drive) since those often come preformatted with HUGE blocksize.

psyco0 if you have enough RAM you could create a RAMdisk and format it, with small blocksize*) to unpack those Ren'Py games to and play from there.
Then when you're done for the day, save RAMdisk as image on harddisk - that's just one big file then so no problem with large blocksize.
next day just a RMB on the image file to create RAMdisk and load image into it, ready.

this way comes with the side-bonus that you play from a disc maybe 80 times faster than some SSD. AND your harddisc / SSD can fall asleep while you play and live longer (lesser # of read and write)

Doing this needs some discipline, as in remembering you're playing on a virtual harddisk, so not saving your progress to real harddisk: any shutting down the computer results in complete loss of progress.
-------------

I am a happy user of toolkit. Not only is it open source, but also well documented, and comfortable to use. (like eg. asking me to first save to image before unmounting volume. :D )
and it can format with blocksize as small as 512 Bytes.